The day I’ve been waiting for has finally come! I’ve been weirdly excited about tearing down the walls in our living room and master bedroom for quite some time. While I’m a little panicked that all of this chaos is happening right before school starts back up, I can’t wait to have some modern amenities like fully functioning air conditioning and electricity! We have been living in the dark in half of the house for more than 3 months now because we are scared of our old electrical wiring.
The boys have been going back and forth between working on the basement and demoing the living room. They started by carefully removing and labeling all of the trim so we can put it back up when we finish. There was a layer of drywall on top of the old lath and plaster that is all coming down. We were super worried about how the studs would look behind the walls, but much to our surprise they are in really good condition. Finally some good news! Here is our living room in bags…
While the boys got covered in 130 year old dust, dirt, and squirrels nests, I’ve been working on smaller projects around the house. Earlier this summer I set some goals I hoped to accomplish to get our house ready to demo and then put back together with as little chaos as possible. The last thing we want is to be working around a bunch of stuff and then having to deal with unwanted clutter when it comes time to furnish, decorate, and enjoy our finished rooms.
The first thing on the list was to purge, and while we still have a few odds and ends to sell and donate, we have made a lot of progress here. I’ve decided on what to get rid of, and Patrick does the Craigslist deals since he thinks I stink at them. Anything that sits for more than a couple of weeks gets moved to the donate pile. He has made about $1,000 so far selling a few of our things and a bunch of things the previous owners left behind- I get to put the money towards new furniture!
The next thing was to organize. It might not look like it since our dining room is currently storing living room, bedroom, and basement stuff, but we are actually pretty organized around here. I cleaned out the cabinets, closets, and furniture pieces that are used for storage and have been working on finding a place for everything. Anything that doesn’t currently have a spot goes in the dining room so we can at least have a few calm and clutter free rooms to relax in (even though there hasn’t been much of that lately).
I also wanted to have a plan for each room to ensure we didn’t impulse buy anything and that each room in house would flow. Planning and revisiting my Pinterest Boards has really given me time to think things through and be sure the overall style, colors, and feel of the house will look cohesive. This was one of the enjoyable projects of the summer and I can’t wait to see our vision start coming to life.
Check out my Pinterest to see what I’m thinking for some of the rooms!
Finally, I created this list of smaller projects and I hoped to get a few of them checked off. Here is where I stand with these things:
Paint Upstairs Guest Bedroom-I’ve started the doors and trim, but am waiting on the walls until we know we won’t have to cut into them for new duct work or electrical
Refinish Guest Bedroom Dresser-DONE!
Style Built-ins- Waiting on this as they are storing my craft stuff until it can be moved to the basement
Strip and Refinish Doors- Decided this would be a great outdoor project for the Fall
Paint Kitchen Island-Up next! Any guesses on the color?!?
Paint Kitchen- Also decided to wait on this until we know about new ducts and electrical
Remove Plants from Backyard and Side of House- Almost done! I just need a little help from Patrick with the bigger ones. This was SO much work! We filled up 20 huge lawn bags and check out all of these plants! I’m sure our neighbors love looking at this lovely pile…
Our sunroom was not on the list, but it got a fresh coat of paint on the ceiling, walls, trim, and doors. We have always planned to use this room as a sitting room. Chester is a big one year old now and no longer needs his huge crate. I figured it would be a good time to paint while the room was empty. What I thought would be a two day project took SIX LONG DAYS to finish. I had to brush the paint on the ceiling and there was SO. MUCH. TRIM. We moved our small couch in here and will be adding a little TV so we have a place to unwind while our living room is under construction. Here is the sunroom now and the bottom photo is what I’m thinking we will do to finish this space:
Life is crazy around here but I’m super excited about where things are headed. We have a long way to go, but are so motivated now that we are beginning to see some physical changes!