M_P-281.jpg

Hi.

Welcome to my 128 year old, little city house blog. Checkout my posts on interior design, room makeovers, furniture flips, and all things old homes should have!

One Room Challenge Fall 2018 Week 1

One Room Challenge Fall 2018 Week 1

ORC-Gold-250w.png

I recently started following a bunch of great designers on Instagram to get some inspiration for our house. I stumbled across the One Room Challenge, an event held twice a year in which twenty chosen designers transform a room in the span of 6 weeks and share their progress and advice each week. Anyone with a blog can participate as a guest and get ideas and support from others along the way.

It sounds like a great way to keep us on track to finish at least one room in our new house! I’ve chosen our main floor master bedroom that we plan to use as a guest room. This room has the only bathroom on the main level of the home so anytime we have friends and family over they will be going through this room. I also know that the holidays will be here before we know it and we would love to have an inviting space for people to stay.

This is what the room looked like when we first moved in…

The wallpaper is not the worst I’ve ever seen, but it’s not our style. I also don’t think it goes well with the pretty tile on the bathroom floor. The bathroom is pretty cute and we will most likely keep it as is. We were expecting to be removing wallpaper forever and had already looked into steamers to remove it before we closed on the house. The FIRST thing I did when we got the keys on closing day was check to see how hard it was going to be to take down. We were totally thrilled to find out that it was basically like a giant sticker and all of the wallpaper was removed in about 30 minutes. The hardest part was unscrewing all of the switchplates.

IMG_20180929_211629.jpg

Here is how it looked after we got the wallpaper down. The next thing we had to do was wash the walls to remove the glue from the wallpaper. This part SUCKED. Once we got to this point I was ready to paint and be done. But my dad is a perfectionist and notices everything. Whoever installed the baseboards and crown moulding didn’t do the best job (we are pretty sure this room is an addition and the trim is definitely not original). There is also a crack in one part of the ceiling. So we put painting on hold to do the job the right way :(

And here is the disaster zone we have now…We took down the crown moulding and this is where one thing led to the another. I decided that it would be more fun if we did something a little more ornate to fit the Victorian look in the rest of the house. Then I figured we should add the ornate moulding throughout other rooms in the house. I’ll include details on this in a later post. We hope to install the new crown moulding and finish patching/priming this weekend. In the meantime, here is a sneak peek of what I am thinking with the paint colors. This room is pretty bright with all of the windows and since the trim isn’t original I don’t feel bad painting it. I think this room can handle a darker color. We are thinking of going white with the majority of the house since we love the dark wood trim and I love that this color would be unexpected.

And finally, here are a few inspiration pictures I’m using to get the plans started:

Picture from  Copy Cat Chic

Picture from Copy Cat Chic

Picture from  WANDELEUR

Picture from WANDELEUR

I will share our progress toward the end of next week! Let me know what you think so far!

One Room Challenge Fall 2018-Week 2

One Room Challenge Fall 2018-Week 2

House Tour

House Tour

0